Highlighting Min-Traps: Revolutionizing Monitoring to Document Abiotic Degradation
Microbial Insights, a leading biotechnology laboratory, offers innovative Molecular Biological Tools (MBTs) for comprehensive microbial diagnostic solutions. In this blog post, we highlight how Min-Trap® provides a method to passively collect direct mineralogical data.
Understanding the Formation, Dissolution, and Transformation of Minerals
Many in-situ groundwater treatment technologies for chlorinated solvents, as well as many metals and other contaminants, rely upon the formation, dissolution, and/or transformation of target solid-phase minerals either to sequester or degrade groundwater contaminants. However, evaluation of these solid phase minerals and/or processes is often only inferred from aqueous phase conditions (i.e., groundwater sampling) because of the significant challenges and costs associated with the collection of solid phase samples.
Key Benefits of Min-Trap®
- Direct feedback from the subsurface regarding the formation, characteristics, and activity of target reactive minerals.
- Eliminating the costs, time, data quality, and health and safety risks associated with drilling for solid samples.
- A technical basis to support estimates of mineral stability and/or long-term reactivity and implications for transition from active to passive treatment.
- Confirmation of ongoing effectiveness of active in situ remediation, passive treatment, and long-term monitoring programs.
- The Min- Trap® can also be used to demonstrate the formation of insoluble minerals that permanently sequester metal contaminants, such as chromium or uranium.
Use Min-Trap® Samplers to Help Answer
- Are reactive iron minerals formed for combined biotic/abiotic degradation of chlorinated solvents?
- Will metals like arsenic co-precipitate or adsorb iron oxides during in situ chemical oxidation?
- Are metal sulfides formed during in situ chemical reduction at Cr(VI) sites?
- Will pH neutralization increase solid phase minerals?
Microbial Insights’ Min-Trap® is a cost-effective monitoring tool for passively collecting direct mineralogical data to help manage many in-situ remediation programs. Min-Trap® solves many challenges inherent to the evaluation of mineral formation and transformation processes of interest for a variety of remedial approaches. By quantifying the formation of reactive iron minerals, Min-Trap® optimizes remediation decisions, enhances remedy performance, and accelerates the transition to passive remediation phases.
Learn more at https://microbe.com/min-trap-sampler/ and contact us today to discover how Min-Trap® can help optimize your remediation efforts.